Skip to main content

Faculty and Staff FAQ

Instructor Guides for Working with Students with Special Needs

What do I do when I think a student in my class or a student I am supporting needs academic support?

  • The Student Success Center will reach out to students to offer tutoring, mentoring, assistance with study strategies, time management, etc. Fill out the Student Support Referral Form and include information that the SSC Director will find helpful. This is FERPA-compliant as this relates to the educational support of the student. 
  • Email the student to let them know that you have contacted someone to offer them course help. This lets the student know why they might be receiving contact from the SSC.
  • Submit the Fourth Week Progress Reports through EKU Direct. Advisors receive these reports and may use them to provide academic intervention. 

What do I do when a student has mental health needs or other needs connected to housing or food security, etc?

  • Fill out a Student Assistance and Intervention Team referral form. This form goes to the SAIT for outreach. 
  • If there is an urgent need where you are concerned about the immediate health or well-being of the student or others, contact EKU Police at 859-622-1111. EKU Police will do welfare checks on students and are trained to assess situations to determine crisis level.

A student in my class is disrupting class and is having behavioral issues. What do I do?

Where do I go regarding a student's accommodation letter if I am not sure what to do with an accommodation request?

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/